Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Yarn

Last time I was here, I was knitting. That got my aunt knitting again. So I asked her to bring me to a yarn store to see what they have here. Lots of Japanese and Eurpoean yarn. Price looks about the same as what you'd find walking into a yarn store back home. I found some Noro, yup, still a little more than $10 a ball. I did not see any lace weight. Saw a little bit of fingering/sock weight. Patterns tend to follow Japanese pattern books. I think I need to study a few of the books she has lying around the house to see if I can make sense of them and whether or not I should go buy some Japanese knitting books.
The flaming moth shawl is coming along. It's quite red! I also just started swatching something for my aunt. It looks like a lace pattern and she wasn't sure how to read the chart and the teacher wasn't sure how to read the chart. And I finished the Anna socks yesterday. I need to weave in some ends but that's it! Whee!
I'd say the knitting world definitely here isn't as developed as it is over in the western hemisphere or Japan, mostly from lack of interest. Similar to how, let's say Rowan or Interweave produces a set of patterns and a trunk show each season, the Japanese companies do the same. The yarn store she frequents, they have a few knitted up items on display and they teach a class for it. So, my aunt, at least is very dependent upon a teacher to make a sweater or whatever. No yarn purchase here.
I'm also wondering about the existence of wireless here, or even the use of a router. My computer misses the internet.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a bummer re no yarn purchases and the whole yarn scene. They just don't know what they're missing! Any bead stores on the horizon?

A recent knitting issue had an article on how to ready Japanese knitting patterns. I'll see if I can find it.

Anonymous said...

Bummer about the knitting scene there - they don't know what they're missing. So like we really need to go to Japan. Field trip!

knitfriendly said...

oh - too bad about the yarn store. :( If you see a cool Japanese knitting book, get it! They are supposed to be much easier to read because of the schematics. I have been wanting to find one to figure it out.