Monday, September 05, 2005

VA Beach Half Marathon

It's been a long time since I've been to the beach. How I've forgotten the joys and the annoyances. I love the water and the waves. I can't stand how the sand gets EVERYWHERE and if you're not careful, you get some horrendous tan lines...like I did.
Reshma and I had gone down there for the Rock 'N Roll half marathon. 13.1 miles. I've only run as far as 6 miles and really had no idea what would happen after that. Well, the first 6 miles were okay, only walked a small portion of that. Walked most of mile 6. Mile 7 was okay and started running mile 8. At mile 10, I realized that I couldn't feel much at my ankles and I thought I had some blisters on my feet. Mile 11 I knew I had blisters and my feet and my legs had stopped working. Mile 12 saw some energy come back as I was able to run again, in small bursts, but run none the less. My quads were tired and the rest of my legs were numb and overworked. Hit mile 13, saw the finish .1 of a mile away and sprinted.
Clocked in at 3 hours 11 min and 47 seconds. The actual gun time was 3 hours 42 min and 26 seconds. My splits at 5K: 38:00, 10K: 1:21:38 and 10 mile: 2:18:46
All in all, I'm happy with this performance. I finished on my own two feet in under 4 hours and even under the 15 mile per minute pace.
Don't have much use of my legs right now and I'm so thankful for cruise control in the car. That's how I got back. I have 2 weeks to recover before I have to do this again in Philly.

No comments: