Saturday, April 05, 2008

the hockey

The hockey gods shafted me over ECAC weekend. Cornell lost in the semis. I wonder if they're making up for it by sending the Caps to the playoffs. I have a whole rant saved for a friend of mine about hockey fans and bandwagoners. I'd like to think that I've gotten myself to a point where I don't have to prove myself.

Way back when in 2001-2002, I first moved down here, I needed and NHL team to follow. All that I got to watch were the Caps on Comcast. They sucked, sucked, and sucked some more. It was not surprising that they couldn't score on a power play, much less a 5 on 3. But I cheered for them. I guess it was in 2003, cuz that's what the articles say, and all I remember was that I was living in DC at the time so it was either 2003 or 2004, but they made it into the playoffs and lost to Tampa we lost on 3 OT to Tampa, the eventual Stanley Cup champions. It was Easter Sunday. And since then, they have sucked, sucked and sucked some more.

But to see them to have turned it around in such a dramatic fashion. I admit that I thought Ovechkin was crazy when he signed a 13 year contract with Washington. So much talent...here. But...

I can't honestly say that I have high hopes for them since I'm so used to them sucking so much. But I'll stand by and cheer for them as they're on this streak.

No comments: