Thursday, May 11, 2006

To New Orleans and Back

In smaller news, I just bought another digital camera. It's smaller and fits more easily into my pocket and uses and SD memory card for which my computer has a slot for. That kind of takes away excuses to not post more pictures.

Ene's scarf - in theory, there are fewer and fewer stitches on my needle. I think I'll believe it when I bind off.

My first impression of New Orleans was made when I stepped off the plane. It was really hot. I got up at 5am and in the airport at 6 for my 6:45 flight. I had one of those horrific headaches when the plane arrived in New Orleans. Ick.
Jazz Fest was great. There are many reasons people are there. Me, I think primarily, it was the food. I am a food addict and compulsive eater after all. There was so much good food. All the shrimp and crawfish and po boys. Couchon au Lait Po Boy was every bit as good as everyone said. And then there were these ribs with white beans and rice and cole slaw, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! And to drink, well, I was addicted to the strawberry lemonade. These were also great when you added some vodka, rum, or both to it!
Music. Zydeco music is pretty good. I think I can only take so much of it. I do like some of the old time stuff. Gospel...that tent was a little freaky as the people in there, according to my friend Mark, were high something, but it's not alcohol or drugs. I didn't catch much of Jimmie Buffet. We were watching Nathan and the Zydeco Cha Chas. Nathan (the main guy) had a 6 year old son who was playing the wash board. Then he had him play the drums for a song and wow! That kid was amazing. I'd love to see him in 20 years. Irma Thomas - I liked her. Paul Simon, that was a great set too. Didn't get to see Fats Domino. He was on the way to the hospital during Paul Simon's set. Instead, Lionel Ritchie ended up playing the Acura stage and while you would think he'd be cheesy, it was actually pretty good.
Saturday night, we had some really good African food in the French Quarter, even though we had to wait 2 hours and didn't start eating til sometime after 11pm. Then John (the local) took us to his Irish/80s bar where the band featured the sister of his infamous Lolita. I was half asleep there until they started doing Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive" and I perked back up briefly.
Sunday night found us wandering out by John's place for a bite to eat and then just sitting around. I left Monday and missed the trip back to the quarter and Yo Mama's burgers. That's kind of sad.

Pictures. I didn't bring my camera. However, I point you to Mark's Flickr account where he has pictures of stuff, including me asleep at various times at JazzFest.

1 comment:

knitfriendly said...

It looks like you guys had a great time! The yo momma joke on the receipt is funny! Hope to see you Monday!