Friday, March 29, 2013

FO Friday - A larger bag!

I had to go get some brown fabric to make the handles and finish up this bag. More zebra print on the handles felt like over kill.

Larger Hex Bag

The bag measures 9.5 inches across the top and 6 inches tall. The bottom of the bag measures 10 inches long by 3.25 inches wide.

I really like the size of this bag! I can fit a small knitting project with a wallet and phone. Or I could probably fit a medium knitting project and make it a knitting bag.

Larger Hex Bag

Monday, I'll start the instructions for constructing one of these bags, starting with drawing out the pattern. For now, a materials list:

  • 1/2 yard exterior fabric - heavy weight quilting cotton or lighter weight home decor fabric - You can also use 2 fat quarters
  • 1 yard interior fabric - quilting cotton - You can also use 2 fat quarters
  • 1 5/8 yard medium weight interfacing
  • 9 inch hex purse frame - I bought mine from Sun Belt Fashion. It seemed sketchy when I placed the order since I didn't get any acknowledgement of my order but a few days later, my order showed up. An alternative source is Ghees.
  • 4 bag feet - Also Sun Belt Fashion, Ghees, or Joanns
  • 4 rectangular rings, interior width measures 1 inch - I bought mine at Joanns. If you choose to buy a different size, just know that you should alter your purse strap width.
  • plastic mesh grid - for something solid in the bottom. You can find this at your local craft store
  • matching thread
  • ruler, rotary cutters, scissors, paper, pen/pencil, pins, and other general sewing needs.
A walking foot and a heavy duty needle for your sewing machine is recommended for when you're topstitching through some of the bulkier parts of this.

No comments: